Sunday, January 20, 2008

Pics from CP Tourney at DL and other things...







...wow do I need to learn how to use the image adding feature on this site, and not have it come out looking like pure crap...anyway...

I was mucking about with my camera (the lovely POS-wonder that it is) and discovered the pictures I took at the Combat Patrol tourney at DL were actually still there. Only a few were usable, though, but I thought I'd share.

From the top, the first two are just show of my army, in all its work-in-progress glory (I'm happy to say that's no longer the case, the assault marines are finished and look a lot better, as do the other models you see in those photos that weren't already finished...just a few more bases and I'll be finished with them all).

The third pic is the post-deployment phase of my first game. Can you spot my tactical blunder in progress? I can!

The fourth and fifth images are from my second game, during deployment. After that, my camera's battery died and well, that was that.

On to other things...

I finished my first devastator squad plasma cannon marine. I'm very pleased with how he turned out. Current plan is to have two plasma cannons and two heavy bolters in that squad, so I'm only 25% done there. I'm concurrently working on my jump chaplain. Yes, he's metal so I'm a little squirrelly on working with him but so far it hasn't been so bad. I've discovered once I've slopped on the black primer, the paint goes on about like it does on a plastic mini. One nifty discovery I made this afternoon (after talking paint for a few minutes with Mike) is a Reaper Master Series color called "Adamantium Black". Since I didn't want to be cheesy and just leave the chappy's armor plain ol' primer black, I thought I'd experiment with this and see how it turned out. One word: Awesome. I'll try and post some pictures when I'm done if my POS camera will actually capture the way it looks. Imagine a nice pure black with microscopic metalflake. When applied, it dries with an ultra-cool gleam and adds a depth and texture that makes the surface really stand out. CJ gives it an A+.

My next army building goal is 1,250 points, so I can play in the next round of escalation at DL. I'm already signed up for it and committed, so I'm really working hard to make it happen. Hopefully, it'll all work out nicely. I'll probably post a first stab at an army list for that game sometime soon for y'all to critique.

Lastly, while I was at DL I spoke with someone (whose name I didn't get, and I feel like an ass for not doing so) about the recently "leaked" pre-release version of the WH40K 5th Edition rules. Evidently, it's the real thing -- according to him this is the version that the "tech priests" (what's a "tech priest"?) have been playtesting with. I'm not admitting to having -- shall we say -- questionable PDFs on my laptop or anything, but I have read the document and I can't really find anything in it that makes me want to rip my hair out, other than the rule that vehicle "defensive weapons" are now classified as S4 and under (which is going to cut down on vehicles moving and shooting in the same turn). Yes, skimmers have been nerfed in a couple of ways, but never having played them nor never having had my ass handed to me by a 3-Falcon Eldar Flying Circus, I can't say that I mind or care. I can see where the new "run" rule is going to be a-ha-bused, badly, and I hope it doesn't come to that...but it probably will. Either way, I'm looking forward to 5th edition, even though I am far and away from mastering 4th. I guess that having a new edition come out while I'm still learning makes me feel like the playing field has been "leveled" to a certain extent. Of course, I know this is going to cause no end of wailing and gnashing of teeth for some players whose favorite broken army list gets balanced (even though they will whine about "nerfing")...but I don't think power-gaming is in the spirit of the game, anyway, so I can't say I really care. :)

All right, that's it for now. Happy painting and playing!

No comments:

Post a Comment